Aims of the IGM
specific purpose of the society is to establish and develop gender medicine in an international context by promoting gender –specific research in basic sciences, clinical medicine and public health. This is based on the insight, that the two sexes may have different experiences of the same disease: they may present with different symptoms, respond differently to therapy and tolerate/cope with the disease differently. The pathophysiology of disease may also vary as a function of genetics, epidemiology and biological sex/gender.
Therefore, the society will aim to:
- advance the understanding of sex/gender differences by bringing together scientists and clinicians of diverse backgrounds;
- strive to implement gender in the medical curriculum, prepare and allocate gender-specific learning materials, curricula and gender trainings for instructors
- promote gender-specific public health issues such as information for persons, institutions and organizations in the area of gender medicine
- facilitate interdisciplinary research on sex/gender differences in basic and clinical frameworks
- encourage the application of new knowledge of sex/gender differences to improve health and health care
- cooperate with other professional and international societies of gender medicine and similar scientific organizations
- encourage and support the creation of professional organizations dedicated to the promotion of sex/gender medicine GM
- encourage and support international cooperation, collaboration and education among professionals working in the field sex/gender medicine.
- organize international meetings and congresses on relevant topics
assist in the publication of position papers and guidelines in credible scientific journals and textbooks